Welcome to Gaming History 101
This is designed to be more encyclopedia style than anything else, so feel free to browse as you choose. You can check up on the daily posts via our blog in the archives to your right, look here for features, or simply search to your heart’s content. Below highlights some of our main feature articles (aka “lessons”) that have recently gone live.
Why Go Retro? – Contributing writer Derek explains why retro gaming is not only educational and fun, but necessary.
- Review: Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara – Capcom saves the best for last as it releases these addictive and popular arcade brawlers for the first time to home consoles in the US with plenty of extras.
- Retro Game Night: Beetle Adventure Racing and Sweet Home – The new weekly Friday night video show kicks off with a fun N64 racer and the 8-bit predecessor to Resident Evil.
- Podcast: E3 Revisited – Special guest Chip Cella (@CaptinChaos) joins Fred and Trees as they discuss the party and backstabbing inception of gaming’s biggest annual event, the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3). The group delves deep into some of E3s earliest years from 1995-1999.
- Podcast: Adventures of Link – Due to the popularity of our Mario episode, we return with special guest Eli (@sodoom) to discuss the Legend of Zelda series.
- Review: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 – Third time is a charm for this modernized form of the JRPG.
- Podcast: 9/9/99 – Fred and Trees celebrate the launch of the beloved Sega Dreamcast.
- Podcast: Top Scores - Fred flies solo and plays some of his favorite tunes from gaming’s past.
- Check This Out: Game Vault – While out of town with the family I discovered a great retro store in Omaha.
- Interview: Super Icon – Developers of Playstation Mobile retro love share their thoughts on development of Life of Pixel and personal retro tastes.
- Podcast: It’s Pronounced La-Ra – We discuss the Tomb Raider series and the pop culture icon protagonist that overshadowed the game.
- Genre Study: Roguelikes and MetroidVania Titles – Learn about these classic genres that are making a comeback.
- Review: Revolution X – Aerosmith + light gun, what could go wrong?
- Getting it Backwords – We delve into the world of backwards compatibility.
- Podcast: Found in Translation – Fred flies solo to tackle the history and world of fan translated games.
Be part of the Gaming History 101 game club: For the month of June we are playing Secret of Mana for the SNES/Virtual Console (Wii). Play along!